What size boat stands do I need?
If you aren’t sure what size of boat stands you need, give us a call at 1-800-533-8433 in the US or Canada. You can also call us at 508-758-3671 or click on the “Boat Stand Selector” option in our menu. For proper sizing, you will need to know the following specifications: length, beam, draft and weight/displacement of your boat.
How much weight will your boat stands hold?
It is important to understand that boat stands are designed as a balancing device. The actual weight of the boat rests its keel and is supported by keel stands, keel benches or blocks (wooden). Our stands have been independently tested and have a certified safe working load of 20,000 pounds / 9,100 kgs.
I have seen knock-offs on the market – why are your products better?
- we use a solid steel, ACME threaded rod
our keel stands are durable and can be adjusted even under a tremendous load
- other commercially available stands have a hollow shaft and poor threads that bind
- Brownell Boat Stands are the best selling stands in the world and are even preferred by professionals
- all of our stands are 100% American made using quality American tubular steel
- other brands use Asian steel, which can vary widely in quality and is susceptible to rusting quickly; bases that are made of angle iron aren’t as strong and can damage easily
- we use a skilled American labor force that takes pride in its work
- all of our handles and nuts are made of solid steel for superior strength
- other brands use fragile castings and are very susceptible to breaking
- our stands have been certified to work at loads of over 30,000 lbs or 13,600 kg
- we use marine grade plywood pads
- all of our quality keel stands are dipped in paint or hot-dip galvanized to provide superior rust protection inside of the tube
Why should I use keel stands?
Keel stands are a fast, labor saving alternative to wood blocks. They are much faster to install than moving around several blocks into each position under the keel. Because they are adjustable, shims are no longer required. Brownell keel stands and keel benches are made in the USA using 100% American tubular steel. They are designed to last for many years and will not deteriorate like wood. Use our online boat stand selector to find the right size for your vessel.
How many keel stands do I need under my boat?
We recommend that you use one keel stand for every 10,000 pounds of 4,550 kgs of vessel weight, always using a minimum of two keel stands. Please see the minimum recommended amounts and suggestions for proper weight distribution on our Proper Use page for more information in this area.
I store large, wide keel boats and some of them have hollow keels; is there anything that I can use to replace the wooden blocks? The wood is just too heavy and time consuming?
Brownell now sells keel benches in two different heights – a 16-inch/41 cm and 28-inch/70cm. Both of these heights are 24-inch/61cm wide. We suggest one keel bench for every 20,000 lbs or 9,000 kgs of vessel weight. Our keel benches are fast to install and have a long service life due to the quality American tubular steel that we use for all our products.